Handmade Christmas gifts are the best kind of gifts! If you are looking for an easy handmade Christmas gift idea to give to friends and family, look no further! When I asked on Instagram for some blog posts you wanted to see (lol, I am always asking you guys what you want to see!), I got a request for some ideas on some easy beginner gifts that can be sewn!
After a bit of searching, I knew these DIY bow hair ties would be the easiest and most practical gift! Plus, their super cute! This tutorial can be completed in 15-30 minutes and does not take much skill level. You can be a beginner sewer and should still be able to complete this project.
I use these hair ties to workout in, as an everyday hair tie and have given them to mama’s as gifts for their toddlers! You can un-tie the bow on the hair tie and wash them. Personally, I get really sweaty working out and wash the bow fabric every few weeks. And if your hair tie breaks you just re-tie it on a new one! If your going to give it to a toddler or kid, you can tie them on a thinner hair tie!
Elastic Hair Ties
You can follow step by step instructions for the DIY here!
- Cut two pieces of fabric using this pattern
- Place the 2 pieces right side together and sew using a 1/4 in seam allowance (leave a 2 in open in the center of an edge)
- Turn bow right side out and push the edges out (make sure they are rounded)
- Stitch the opening closed on the right side of the fabric (I’ve seen tutorials where you can use hot glue!)
- Tie your bow around an elastic hair tie
Start at minute 5:08 for an on how to make the DIY hairtie! If your a visual learner like I am, this video is extremely helpful!
Lots of Sunshine,