Not sure about you but I am not a huge fan of showing skin when wearing a crop top. I prefer to go the modest route and wear them with high waisted bottoms. Now, I have no shame sporting a bikini to the beach all day but when it comes to styling a crop top I feel so uncomfortable walking around showing my midriff. Go figure!
Charlotte Russe Top, J.Crew Shorts, Gap Shoes (old, similar here), ASOS Straw Bag
Let’s just say this outfit is perfect for the heat. It will keep you as cool as humanly possible without stepping inside air conditioning.
Typically I don’t instantly associate ruffles with gingham but I love the feminine detail it adds to the crop top. There’s elastic on the hem which helps gives it a blouse like shape. I can place it exactly where I want it on my waist and it doesn’t move. Also probably the only time I prefer elastic on my clothes ha. I paired it with my go-to summer shorts and white sandals. The straw bag helped pull the whole look together (hint: to hide the pink tassels just turn the bag around!).
How to style a gingham crop top:
- Find a cute crop top // There are so many girly gingham crop tops in stores right now. If your more of a blue gal, this crop top is really cute. As we transition from summer to fall, a gingham top with sleeves is also another great option.
- Focus on one piece // With every single outfit I wear I start with a “focus piece”. This means there will be one item in your outfit that you want to showcase. In this case, it’s my gingham crop top.
- Skin or no skin // Decide if you want to show skin or keep the look modest. If you don’t mind having a bit of skin showing, pick a pair of low-rise or regular shorts. I prefer to wear a crop top with something a little bit higher waisted like my white shorts. For the fall you can always swap out shorts for white skinny jeans!
- Pair with Neutrals // If there’s a print/pattern in your outfit, especially if it’s my “focus piece” I like to keep the rest of the look fairly minimal. Match the gingham crop top with neutrals like white, denim, black or tan. Here I chose white shorts because they complimented the white check pattern in the gingham crop top.
- Dress Up with Accessories // I’m a person who likes to match their accessories to their outfits and keep it in the same color family. This is not for everyone. Blair or Atlantic Pacific is a great example of this. I wore white shoes to match my white shorts. You could also:
- Add a bright red bag
- Add a bold red lip
- Add white sunglasses or a tortoise shell pair
Charlotte Russe Top, J.Crew Shorts, Gap Shoes (old, here’s a similar pair by Soludos!), ASOS Straw Bag
Shop more gingham pieces here:
Do you prefer to show skin when wearing crop tops or go the modest route?
TorrieAugust 2, 2017 at 7:09 pm
What a great location! I love it! I wish I lived close enough to a marina that something like this was even an OPTION for a mini photo shoot because as it is, I’d probably have to drive a few states over! Ha ha.
katieskroniclesAugust 3, 2017 at 1:40 am
Thanks Torrie!!! Living right by the water is one of my favorite things about Florida! How far do you live from the coast? I also think it would be really fun to live in a place that has a ton of lakes but unfortunately lakes don’t do so great in Florida.
Amanda | Maple AlpsAugust 2, 2017 at 7:49 pm
What a great outfit! I could never pull it off I feel. But it looks fantastic on you; perfect for the beautiful summer weather!
katieskroniclesAugust 3, 2017 at 1:38 am
Thanks Amanda! I bet you could! Yes, so so great for hot summer days!
Shannon MahaneyAugust 2, 2017 at 8:07 pm
That top is super cute and perfect for Florida heat! II am always looking for cute tops to wear with my white shorts in the summer.
I’m originally from Merritt Island (321!) and it was seriously a swamp town in the summer. I’m in South Carolina now and it’s just a tad cooler but still humid.
katieskroniclesAugust 3, 2017 at 1:38 am
Thank you Shannon!!! I agree, a cute top and make or break an outfit. This one was so cheap I am really glad I bought it from a store I don’t normally shop at. Are you fr? Sweet! 321 baby haha!!!! By now I’m pretty used to the head but then again, I work inside air-conditioning all day lol. That stinks the humidity didn’t seem to get any better =/ but South Carolina sounds so beautiful, especially by the coast and Charleston!
AbiAugust 2, 2017 at 8:31 pm
Love this outfit, and your shorts are beyond adorable too! I just snapped some pictures by a marina near me, and while I love the look, I don’t think I will ever love the smell of the sea=)
katieskroniclesAugust 3, 2017 at 1:35 am
Thanks Abi!!!! =) =) That’s fun you live close to a marina also! Yes, every once in a while there will be days where the river or ocean just smells rancid. I try hard to stay away from the water when it’s so stinky like that ha! But for the most part the water is nice and fresh! It’s the heat you have to deal with.
Kristen from Pugs & PearlsAugust 2, 2017 at 8:47 pm
Love this look! White shorts are always my favorite. Makes you look extra tan, haha!
katieskroniclesAugust 3, 2017 at 1:34 am
White shorts will always be my fav go to no matter what the season, minus the winter because even in Florida it gets a little to cold to whip out the shorts every week. For real, the photos were so dark, I had to really pull up the brightness and it makes me look extra tan. Can’t complain much about that because I have faily fair skin.
AubryAugust 2, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Gingham can do no wrong! Super cute!
katieskroniclesAugust 3, 2017 at 1:32 am
haha no it cannot! Thanks Aubry!!!! There’s so many cute pieces for fall and just like you said, they will do me no wrong, except maybe my bank account loL!
Krystyana LuxAugust 2, 2017 at 10:00 pm
Love how this look is still modest. I’m definitely going to rethink my attitude towards crop tops.
katieskroniclesAugust 3, 2017 at 1:31 am
YES GIRL!!! I am not super comfortable showing skin while walking around town, especially when I feel like it puts all eyes on you. I prefer to stay under the radar but crop tops can surely be worn in a modest way!!! Often I will wear them with high waisted skirts to work and never feel inappropriate! Thanks for stopping by Krystyana!
Jenna CondonAugust 3, 2017 at 10:19 pm
Awh gingham tops are just so cute! I’ve been looking for the perfect one, and I love the color of yours 🙂
Elizabeth MayberryAugust 4, 2017 at 8:56 pm
Love this look girl!! And yes on the crop tops with high waited bottoms – I love that look and do it all the time!! Love the water too!!!
TaylorAugust 7, 2017 at 8:06 pm
That is such a cute top! I love your tips on how to style it! thanks for sharing Katie 🙂
Taylor | http://www.livingtaylored.com